Things to do :: Interesting Sites :: Pissouri
Properties - 318
Pissouri village is perhaps the only seaside village in Cyprus which has retained its original architecture and environment. The village itself stands on a hilltop
a sea level difference of 250 metres and for the most part is built using solid stone walls. The village centre has been preserved with Governmental assistance and a village square which is surrounded by small family run restaurants and cafes, is extremely popular among both locals and foreign visitors.
The Pissouri area is famous for growing grapes, mainly in the valley between the main roads and the sea that leads to Pissouri Beach.Pissouri is about a 30 minute drive away from either Paphos (Pafos) or Limassol (Lemesos) for those who want to see more urban life than Pissouri can offer.
During the summer there is a so called 'Cyprus night' in the lovely traffic free village square, with dancing and music. Although the idea is perhaps that it provides entertainment for the visitors to Pissouri, it is also true that a significant number of those present every week are the villagers themselves, thus it really is a true Cyprus night.
The views from Pissouri village and its surroundings are spectacular. It is set on the eastern slopes of the ridge reaching the sea at Cape Aspro, about 500 feet high on average - the highest point on the ridge is about 800 feet. To the East it is possible to see the countryside and the shore line all the way to Limassol and even beyond, and to the north the whole of the Troodos range, including Mount Olympus, at more than 6000 ft, the highest mountain on the island.
Within the village there is an amphitheatre with panoramic views of the surrounding countryside where special events take place throughout the year.
As a visitor to the town, one would obtain a great insight into Mediterranean culture by visiting the church of Apostle Andreas and some of the smaller old churches in the area.
Apostolos Andreas Church
The Church of Apostle Andrea was built with voluntary work by the good-willing residents of the community in 1883. The work for the construction of the church lasted for about twelve years. The Stone that the church is built originates from the regions of villages Anogyra and Prasteio villages and was transferred in the village with carts which were dragged by Cypriot donkeys. The church is built in Gothic style. The place that it is built was used as the village cemetery up to 1912. The church is famous for its wooden-carved Icon Stand, which is a real work of art and was manufactured in 1890. The manufacture lasted 10 entire years because of the means of that time.
Other chapels are: Saint George, Prophet Elias, Saint Alexandros, Saint Mauritius, Saint Spyridonas.
The small chapel of Saint Georgios is found in the locality of Kamaroudi in the street towards the Alektora village in distance of 3 kilometres from Pissouri. In 1958 it was built at the expenses of Mr Aristou A. Liasidi. The chapel celebrates every Easter Wednesday.
The chapel of Prophet Elias is found in a pine-clad slope of Saint Elias on the west of Pissouri. It was built in 1960 in sculptured rock at the expense of Mr Agamemnona Ar Fouta. The chapel was renovated in 2002. The chapel of Prophet Elias has very ancient religious Icons in its internal rock. It celebrates every Easter Monday and on the 20th July.
The chapel of Saint Alexandros was built in 1990. In the old days there was a big bush of trimithies and shinies where the faithful Christians went and made their prayers. On the bushes' branches they used to hang various types of clothing from sick children in order for the Saint to cure. His memory is celebrated on 30 August and on 12 December where a
festive Holy Service takes place by the residents of the community.
On the east of the plain of Linidion and at the foot of Saint Mauritius ground, on the foundations of the old church the current church of Saint Mauritius was built with by the family of Mr Pericles Stasi family. With donations by the residents of Pissouri the church got bigger and was maintained and fenced in 2001. Saint Mauritius is known as the doctor of ‘skatharon' (spots). Taking part of the earth from the inside of the church and making it into mud you put it in the form of ointment on the spots. In a few hours the sick person becomes very well and is cured. This feast takes place every year on 12th September. The ancient church of Saint Mauritius was maintained recently and constitutes a pole of attraction for the tourists of the community and for a lot of Christians. Every Easter Thursday the Holy Service and big feast takes place to honor the Saint.
Virgin Mary of Akonopetras
In the homonym ground of Akonopetra in the west of the Community amphitheater, the chapel was built to honor Virgin Mary. This place belongs to the church of Apostle Andrea and was completed through financial contributions of the residents of Pissouri and with free of charge supervision of work from Mr Kyriako D. Mavroudi. It is celebrated and serviced every 21st November.
The Rock of Aphrodite is a few kilometres to the west of Pissouri village. The location is especially beautiful at sunset. Its Greek name is Petra tou Romiou or ‘The Rock of the Greek’.
Legend says that Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty, rose from the waves in this strikingly beautiful spot. There are several versions of the story of the goddess's birth, but the most famous is that Aphrodite rose naked from the sea on a scallop shell. Blown by the wind, Aphrodite's first stop was on the island of Cythera, but this was such a tiny island that Aphrodite kept moving and eventually got to Cyprus, where she began living in Paphos.
Pissouri is ideally located near two of the best golf courses in Cyprus. Aphrodite Hills and Secret Valley golf courses are only 10 minutes away by car and offer fantastic golf. The third golf course, Tsada is 40 minutes away by car.